The DPSSkills program offers a variety of professional development workshops designed to support ALL DPS educators*. During these workshops you will have the opportunity to focus on personal and professional development, and connect and share experiences with your teammates from across DPS. Participation in these workshops is a great way to demonstrate your on-going commitment to help us reach our vision: Every Child Succeeds!!
*In DPS ALL employees are educators.
Upcoming Workshop Dates, Descriptions and Outcomes:
During this FOUR week hybrid-model workshop, learners will explore factors that make an effective story and creat a personalized digital story. The workshop will have one online session and three classroom sessions.
May 1 online
May 11th 12:30 – 2:30 EGC Rm 935B
May 18th 2:00 – 4:00 EGC Rm 935B
May 25th 1:00 – 3:00 EGC Rm 935B
Crafting and Delivering Dynamic Presentations
What makes an effective presentation? Find the answer to this question and many more in this workshop which focuses on the principles of Presentation Zen, Made to Stick, the Duarte Glance Test, and Pinnacle Performance technique. Learners will engage in hands-on activities to build more effective presentations, use constructive critique, practice presenting and collaborate in group problem solving for systemic issues relating to presentations at DPS.
- Understand the difference between documents and presentations
- Produce more powerful Powerpoint presentations without bullets
- Apply the “glance test” to slides in a presentation
- Provide constructive feedback to peers on their Powerpoint slides
May 8th 1:00 – 4:00 EGC Rm 1035
Communicating with Influence
The ability to communicate effectively is an important skill for everyone. Communicating with Influence is a skill that adds the dimension of empowerment, i.e., empowering self and others to act in such a way that change occurs and/or results are achieved. During this workshop, we will discuss theories of communication and style, as well as the driving principles of communication, and how being more aware of your communication style and the styles of others can lead to achieving your desired results. Using these skills, you will build and role-play strategies to communicate with influence in your professional and personal lives.
- Identify and integrate the 5 C’s of Communication with your communication style
- Recognize the circle of concern and identify opportunities within your sphere of influence
- Empower others to act within your sphere of influence using the driving principles of communication
- Build skills and strategies for communicating with your leaders, co-workers and/or employees
May 23rd 1:00 – 4:00 EGC Rm 1135 A/B
Process Improvement – White Belt
During the White Belt, learners will be introduced to process improvement (PI) methodology, the project life cycle, and some basic PI tools that can be used to drive to a solution for any PI project. The completion of a PI project is not required to complete the training.
- Explore Lean and Six Sigma concepts
- Understand project phases, roles, deliverables, and management
- Employ basic Lean tools to complete a process improvement project
- Identify strategies for identifying and measuring project benefits
May 24th 10:30 – 12:30 EGC Rm 935
Register now via PLS
Step 1: Sign in using your DPS user name and password
Step 2: Select CATALOGS
Step 3: Enter “DPSSkills” in the search box. Expand the Culture, Equity and Leadership Team Catalog and Culture Equity and Leadership Team General Curricula.
Step 4: Once you’ve located the DPSSkills workshop you would like to attend, click the Info/Register button. Select the session of your choice by clicking the “Register” button.