Our DPS Day is an annual values-based event when members from across DPS gather as a whole to connect to our shared work, to each other, to our Shared Core Values and to our vision, Every Child Succeeds. We also hear the state of the district from our leaders and are reminded that we today are the solution we’ve been waiting for.
Our DPS Day is going virtual!
This year, we’re excited to expand this opportunity to EVERY member of Team DPS as Our DPS Day is going virtual! On Aug. 16, all teams are encouraged to participate in an interactive viewing session and share their voices as the entire district is connected for an hour and a half. An Outlook calendar invitation has been sent to all team members soon to hold this date and time. More information will be shared with school leaders and managers to help arrange the viewing sessions and activities for each team.
It will take all of us to reach our vision, Every Child Succeeds, and we all have a role to play. Join Team DPS from 8:30-10 a.m. Aug. 16 to kick off the school year ready to do our part to bring our vision to reality.
Past Our DPS Day themes:
- Connect – Inspire – Do: July 26, 2016
- Growing Stronger Together: July 29, 2015
- Transforming – Teaming – Thriving: July 28, 2014. Watch the video.
- Living Our Values: July 31, 2013. Watch the video.
On August 2, 2012 we convened a group of 1,000 employees from all across the school system—teachers, school leaders, bus drivers, paraprofessionals, social workers, facility managers, finance team members, family liaisons, district leaders— who came together to celebrate our work, to discuss the sense of mission that brought us to our work in the first place, and to collectively choose our DPS Shared Core Values to serve as the foundation for everything we do together in educating our kids.
The day was titled “Our DPS: Discover a World of Opportunity Together.” In what was a remarkable full-day dialogue, we started with each individual selecting core values that are of greatest importance to them. We then moved on to discussions and voting in groups of five people, then 10, then 20, then 40, then 80, and finally came back together as a full group of 1,000! In each round, every individual in the room had the exact same number of votes for the values, and we had quite a dialogue among colleagues about the values they believe in most deeply. Click here to watch a video of the day.
The six Shared Core Values for the Denver Public Schools chosen with the highest number of votes are:
- Students First: We put our kids’ needs at the forefront of everything we do.
- Integrity: We tell the truth, and we keep our promises.
- Equity: We celebrate our diversity and will provide the necessary resources and supports to eliminate barriers to success and foster a more equitable future for all our kids.
- Collaboration: Together as a team, we think, we work, and we create in order to reach our goals.
- Accountability: We take responsibility for our individual and collective commitments; we grow from success; we learn from failure.
- Fun: We celebrate the joy in our work and foster in our students a joy and passion for learning to last their whole lives.